Friday, August 25, 2017

Friday August 25, 2017



Pablo Picasso said, "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away." I've always liked that quote and it seems a good way to start today's post. I was doing some editing on my latest book yesterday. Even though it's already been published and is being circulated on kindle there were a couple of little things that my proof reader missed. The nice thing about kindle is that changes can always be made if need be. I'm ready to publish the paperback but am still waiting for the cover to be completed. Part 2 has a real good start but finding the time to work on it is getting a little difficult. Well shining my little light to the world through these books and this blog feels to be the thing for me to do. It may be a lot of work but it's a labor of love. In This Little Light Of Mine I talk about a bunch of strange experiences and encounters that I've been a part of. Part 2 continues the adventure but moves from Milwaukee to California.

In a couple of chapters of the first book I talk about losing people close to me in terribly tragic ways. It was difficult to write about those things and even more heart wrenching to go back and relive them over and over while editing. I'm very often haunted by the thought that my life would likely be very different, as would the lives of others, if I had on those two occasions just followed what my heart was telling me. I understand that I'm not responsible for what happened but just knowing that my response had such a dramatic effect on the events that followed really hurts. It's so important to listen to what our heart tells us. Well in any case, I'm grateful for what I've been blessed with. I had to laugh one day when at an appointment with my physician. I was telling him about some of the things I’ve experienced and now write about. When the appointment was finished and we were walking towards the front desk, he stopped, turned towards me and said, “You know it’s amazing that you’ve turned out so well adjusted.” What can I say, he is a doctor after all and I agree with his diagnosis, well most of the time…

Yesterday was a nice day. It started with meeting Joan at the church to begin getting ready for this weekend’s plant sale fund raising event. Working in the garden, being involved in things like the plant sale and community dinner, and so many other activities I’m involved in at my church are so rewarding – more like “labors of love” than like work. Last night I attended a group on something called nonviolent communication. It was really good and many of my friends were there. I think everybody there would be defined as “friend” but some I’m closer to and spend more time with than others. Joan and her husband John were there, they are such nice people, talented, well educated, and so much more than “book smart”. Of course Curtis was there too. I like Curtis so much. Maybe it’s because he’s close to my age and is very openly gay so we have a lot of things to talk about. He’s nearly an ordained minister and is so smart and funny. He has an incredible knowledge of theology and I have a deep interest in that. Everybody loves Curtis. He and I have had many long conversations together. I'm so lucky to have such wonderful friends.

So about last night’s group. It was very interesting but a couple of things caught me off guard. I’ve been feeling a bit down lately and while everyone else was sitting together in the first row that curved around the speaker, I felt compelled to sit back a row and a little off to myself. I was encouraged to move closer and more into the group but just couldn’t. In one part we were asked to pick out between one and three cards that had been scattered on the floor. Each card had a word printed on it describing an emotion. I chose “Scared”, “Lonely”, and “Grateful”. But then we were asked to join up with someone to express how we felt about our choice of word-cards. Uh oh, I wasn’t ready for that. A nice woman came and sat next to me. I asked her to go first because I just couldn’t discuss my cards. It went well as I listened to her. When it was my turn I still couldn’t do it. She asked me why and the best I could do was show the card that said “Scared”. It’s just too hard to open up about these things. I feel welcome and accepted by everyone I know but there’s issues lurking inside that I doubt anyone would guess. Oh well, what are you going to do? Curtis had sat sort of next to me between the first row where everyone else was and the next row that I was sitting in. I was happy that he did. We ended up talking quite a bit. I really like him.

Today is laundry day and tonight I’m meeting Joan and others to get a few more things together for the plant sale. It’s also my friend Jeanne’s birthday and she’s having a sort of get-together at a nice bar/pizza place that will have live music. I want to go but am so short on money again this month. I can’t afford to do a lot but I’d really like to get to this. We’ll see.

Let me finish today’s post with what seems to be becoming my little catch phrase. It’s not much but here we go…

Hugs and blessings to all.

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment