Saturday, January 12, 2019

January 12 2019 - Friends go on vacation and a bit about justice...


Well I just dropped my friend off at the train station. He’s spending the night in LA and catching an early flight to New Orleans, then on to Biloxi. I like my friend a lot. If you’re reading this my dear then all I can say is “Well I guess it worked, you’re finally reading my blog”.  lol And I didn’t even mention you by name… yet!

What I really want to talk a little about today is the lgbtq+ perspective and transgenders in particular. Of course we have to deal with a fair number of stupid people but I feel many of us go about winning the hearts and minds of the world in all the wrong ways. There will always be people that have the need to belittle others and it makes me angry just like everyone else but I believe the key is not in getting angry at anyone and reacting with anger, that is really counterproductive. Nobody can force anyone to feel or believe anything they don’t want to feel or believe. From my perspective our best bet is to show that we are just like everyone else and rather than anger, show our dignity and our pride – just be our sweet lovable selves being unapologetically me (whoever your me happens to be). People respond to positive people in a far better way than to angry people. Sure, appealing to the worst of humanity will get some on your side but there have been too many times that I’ve heard about people like neo-Nazis doing a complete turnaround just by getting to know a few of the people they used to hate.

Amazing huh…

Think about the really great people like the late Martin Luther King Jr. He didn’t attack hate groups like the Ku Klux Klan or neo-Nazis, but instead shared his wisdom and humanity. He was a man that had a life of awful oppression but MLK stood up and spoke in terms of “I had a dream…” words that still cause a tingle through my body and bring a tear to my eyes. Or “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that”. Or another “Let no man pull you low enough to hate him”. These words and very many more are so inspiring to me. Of course we all honor him to this day and celebrate his life, sadly, we also recall this great man’s fate - that he was assassinated, but does anyone recall the assassin’s name? And nobody even cares what the guy’s name was or what he supposedly stood for. But we will always remember Martin Luther King Jr.

I want to be more of an ambassador…

I may well be the worst possible person to be reaching out to the so-called “Straight” folks just because I tend to be so weird; then again, perhaps it’s my weirdness that’s my greatest asset. I have a very colorful past and wrote about a little of it in my book This Little Light Of Mine – Jamie. I’ve always walked in very gray areas of life and this has gotten me into a fair amount of tough situations but also has had tremendous rewards. I’ve met incredible people along the way and have done some very interesting things. While it can make for entertaining stories to some, the fact that I talk too much can also get on people’s nerves. I don’t mean to, it’s just my crazy brain at work. I truly believe that we are all meant to get along and can easily accomplish this. This is what great people believe and although I’m not one of the greats, in fact I’m kind of stupid most of the time, I choose to follow this belief and will continue on.

It’s late…

It’s after 4 pm on Saturday. I usually do the bulk of my writing before 9 am but today just slipped by. I think I’ll wrap up now. So from the sweet hippie chick,

Big hugs and blessings always




No comments:

Post a Comment