Thursday, January 24, 2019

January 24, 2019 - The demonization of cigarette smokers...


Well I don’t expect this to be a terribly popular opinion that I’m sharing today but then I still have not mastered my friends requests to “Please shut the f**k up (yet still they love me - and oh how I so enjoy the way they sometimes express that love).” So on and on I ramble. This opinion does come with a disclaimer though which is that I have no doubt that cigarette smoking is not a desirable thing to do and I’m not advocating or suggesting anyone should smoke, just please allow others to do as they see fit as long as it’s not hurting someone else.

Please stop the demonization of cigarette smokers…

Yes, cigarette smokers have become demonized. If someone is puffing away and not being considerate of others being exposed to the smoke, then yes absolutely, please speak up. But it’s gotten to a point of going too far, especially here in Southern California. Just the knowledge of my habit sends some into a frenzy of unfair judgement. There is a city close by that has banned cigarettes entirely. What purpose is that serving? Automobiles, power companies, and factories are still belching out poison at an alarming rate. Even the electric and hybrid vehicles are destroying the environment without mercy. Cars are by far the number one cause of death and injury even surpassing (by far) cigarettes and firearms combined. So why do we choose hypocrisy over tolerance? For example, on Thanksgiving of 2017 I went with a friend to a dinner with her family. My friend is in her mid-80’s. After eating, and by the way, I don’t eat animals, so after eating a lovely dinner and having gone many hours without my fix, I asked my friend if there was somewhere I could smoke. My friend got a horrified look on her face and whispered, “I told them you’re transgender but I didn’t tell them you smoke.” It’s popular nowadays to have a gay, lesbian, or transgender friend but smokers like me are considered the very spawn of Satan himself by many. I went to the person that owned the home and asked if I could go outside somewhere and smoke. I was shown a spot where their smoking friends go and was politely told it was no problem. I made a joke about how not so long ago it was an awful sin to be in the LGBT+ category and cigarette smoking was cool – now it was the complete opposite. We all had a smile and agreement over this and off I went to get my nicotine. Somehow we all managed to survive the incident.

It really is an overreaction…

In this I see a couple of human qualities at work. One is the hypocrisy that plagues us all which of course includes me. As I’ve already pointed out, automobiles are the number one cause of death and injury today. Something else to consider is the new battery technology used in hybrid/electric vehicles and also in the ‘oh so popular’ cell phones we’ve come to depend on. The new battery technology uses lithium which is mined in Africa using slave labor. Lithium has now taken over the spot vacated by blood diamonds. Nobody wants to give up the convenience of cars and cell phones – someone else should be held accountable.

But we still need an enemy…

For some reason we as people, again myself included, seem to need a place to focus the darkness we see in ourselves. We as humans tend to see patterns where none exist so we create stigmas and stereotypes then so self-righteously hate, love, or fear our concocted angels and demons. At one time it was people of African or Asian genealogy that were unfairly judged and held in awful contempt. Common sense was that these people were somehow inferior and dangerous. Amazingly, this bizarre use of an ancient and no longer needed survival mechanism is still at work in us, and to a great extent, also includes femininity. There is nothing inherently factual about accepted norms. We need to be very critical about our beliefs. My rule is, it’s okay if you’re not hurting anyone. The things I like or dislike in others are a reflection of myself and recognizing this gives me an opportunity towards understanding and accepting myself and others. We are warned, “Judge not lest ye be judged, and what measure of forgiveness you show others will be shown unto you.” The way I see that is if we judge and condemn others we’ll hurt ourselves in the process now in this lifetime – not get beat up by an angry god when we attempt to secure a most certainly undeserved place in heaven. It’s just the way my silly little brain works I suppose.

Let me repeat…

Again, I’m not advocating the use of tobacco or any form of nicotine – it’s a dangerous and addictive drug. Another dangerous and addictive practice is the demonization of others. Regardless of what our race, religion, gender orientation/expression, healthy practices, or unhealthy practices we all have the right to live our lives the way we see fit as long as we respect the rights of others. I’ve been trying desperately to stop the nicotine dependency that still afflicts myself and others. As I told in my previous post I recently broke free of a prescription morphine addiction I fought with for years. The narcotic epidemic we now face (3 million+ people addicted) is the direct result of a dishonest greedy pharmaceutical industry. Cigarette companies targeted children and others in my generation and it was despicable to say the least. Please stop demonizing us, please.

As always, from the sweet hippie chick…

Big hugs and much love always.




No comments:

Post a Comment